The Ministry of Health in Lagos State has confirmed its first case of COVID-19 and pronounced it to the Federal Ministry of Health. The case, which was once tested on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be said in Nigeria on account that the outbreak in China in January 2020The case is an Italian citizen who entered Nigeria on the twenty fifth of February from Milan, Italy for a quick enterprise visit. He fell ill on the twenty sixth February and was once transfered to Lagos State Biosecurity Facilities for isolation and testing. COVID-19 contamination was demonstrated with the aid of the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, phase of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. The affected person is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba , Lagos. The Government of Lagos State underneath the Governor as the COVID-19 Incident Commander, thru the the Lagos State Ministry of Health, has been strengthening measures to make sure that any outbreak in Lagos is managed and contained shortly in collaboration with the multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group, led with the aid of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).A statement via Prof Akin Abayomi , Commissioner for Health, Lagos State reads;“We have without delay activated the State Emergency Operations Centre to respond to this case and implement company manage measures.” I wish to guarantee all Lagosians and Nigerians that we have been strengthening our preparedness on account that the first confirmation of instances in “China. We will use all the sources made reachable by the State and the Federal Government to reply to this case .” “We are working to discover all the contacts of the patient, due to the fact he arrived in Nigeria. Please, be reminded that most human beings who come to be contaminated may experience only a mild sickness and get better easily, but it can be extra extreme in others, specially the aged and men and women with different underlying persistent illnesses. All Lagosians need to take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to defend themselves and others, consisting of their very own families, following the precautions below:”
1. Regularly and entirely wash your fingers with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
2. Maintain at least 1 & 1/2 metres (5 feet) distance between you and all people who is coughing or sneezing.
3. People coughing constantly or sneezing need to remain indoors or hold a social distance, however not mix with a crowd.
4. Ensure that you and people around you follow good respiratory hygiene by way of masking mouths and noses with a handkerchief or tissue whilst sneezing or coughing. You can also sneeze or cough into your sleeve at the bent elbow.Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
5. Stay indoors if you feel unwell with symptoms, such as fever, cough and concern in breathing. Please call Lagos State Emergency hotlines 08023169485 or 08033565529 or 08052817243 which are accessible day and night.
6. Stay informed on the modern developments about COVID-19 via reliable channels on TV and Radio, the Social Media, together with the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health. Citizens have to now not abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that reasons worry and panic. The Lagos State Ministry of Health, in collaboration with Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, will continue to provide updates and will provoke all measures required to prevent the spread of any outbreak in Lagos.In a statement, the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) says : “The Honourable Minister of Health (Osagie Ehanire) has introduced a verified coronavirus (COVID-19) case in Lagos State.“The case, which was once established on the twenty seventh of February, 2020, is the first case to be suggested in Nigeria considering the commencing of the outbreak in China in January 2020.“The patient is clinically stable and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.“We assure all Nigerians that measures are in vicinity to reply appropriately.“We are working with the Lagos Ministry of Health to discover contacts and initiate response accordingly .”